Latest Update (14th May 2022): Bug fixes, new blending and QoL features. C++ library is now available on github here!
See the latest changes below for all changes!
Complete rewrite of the TimelineFX Editor is now available with this Alpha Version
This new rewrite will eventually replace the old version, but currently this alpha is still in heavy development. Despite that, it has more or less feature parity with the old version with the scope of having many new features in the future as it’s developed. You’ll notice though that there are already a lot of quality of life improvements and a much more flexible UI.
Some initial main differences in this new version:
- Emission type (area, line, ellipse or point) are now per emitter. Before they were per effect. This change makes it much easier to have different emission types in the same effect.
- UI is fully dockable and resizable allowing you to re-arrange the layout as you wish.
- For users on high DPI monitors, you’ll find font scaling under Settings > Font Scale
- Importing shapes with more than one frame of animation is a lot more intuitive
- Editing the first node on the graph is much easier now as they can be changed using a Drag widget. Easier if you only need to change that rather than have to go into the graph to do so.
- The Shapes tab works a lot better with animated shapes showing all the frames as you hover over them.
- Particles draw a lot more efficiently then before, but there’s still lots of optimising to do here.
- There’s a new Intensity attribute, allowing for easy vibrant particles. It works like a Multiple x2 blend mode except that the multiple is variable and you can change the intensity overtime.
- Improved background settings for the preview window.
- Much improved seamless texture preview.
- Now uses Simplex Noise algoritm for much better motion randomness effects
- Blend modes are now an overtime attribute you can use a graph (Blendfactor) to control. Values on the graph that are closer to 0 result in an additive blend and values closer to 1 result in an alpha blend. Instead of Opacity graph you now have Intensity instead which allows you to go over 1 resulting in brighter colours. Values closer to 0 fade the particle out.
- Added new Delay Spawning property for emitters so it’s much easier to delay when an emitter starts to spawn particle
- Added new playback speed property to animations so that you can now (finally!) make an effect play quick to fit it into fewer frames.
- Added option on animation tab to draw the effect in magenta to make it much easier to see how to fit the effect in the frame.
The original version is still for sale as it helps support development for the new version, and it will remain the more stable version for now, plus it also has a lot for effects available – the new version will not be able to load old effects files as they’re incompatible (I may do some kind of converter in the future). The new version will be free and instead I’ll be selling premium effects packs (there will be free effects also available still!) of which I’ll be offering discounts to anyone who purchased the original version.
This version is currently Windows only. Mac will come at a later date but isn’t a priority just yet.
What’s new in TimelineFX Editor Alpha version?
* Fixed bug with grid emission
* Tweaked noise algorithm for better looking results
* Fixed crash after import shape after clear unused shapes was used
* Animation frame offset now saves properly
* Opacity now set properly when the particle spawns
* Emitter size changes now update the preview as you change it
* Copying a sub effect to the library now properly clones the Global attribute graphs
* Deleting emitters now selects the next emitter in the list after deleting
* Default shape should no longer be saved with the library
* Fixed bug with only playing selected emitter
* Sub effects should no longer timeout when they shouldn’t
* Preset gradients now work properly with brightness values over 1
* Fixed bug where deleting emitters would not record it in the history so you couldn’t undo the delete.
* Removed blend modes. You now have Blendfactor as an Overtime Attribute. Values closer to 0 result in an additive blend, and values closer to 1 result in an alpha blend.
* Improved the quality of exported sprite sheets and fixed an issue with intensity values over 1.
* Added new Delay Spawning property for emitters so it’s much easier to delay when an emitter starts to spawn particles
* Added new playback speed property to animations so that you can now (finally!) make an effect play quick to fit it into fewer frames.
* Added option on animation tab to draw the effect in magenta to make it much easier to see how to fit the effect in the frame.
* Added multipliers to make it a bit easier to resize the animation frame.
* Added limit to the total size of a sprite sheet (currently 4096×4096).
* Removed the effect list in a child window for now.
* Fixed a vulkan validation issue relating to the animation tab
* Fixed issue with effect libraries that contained imported effects.
* Improved how velocity makes particles align when they have Align selected in properties.
* Added new Emission angle type on the properties tab. This will make the particle align on emission only and not stay aligned as the particle changes direction thereafter.
* Put emitter size onto the emitter tab for easier access. You can still change the emitter size overtime using the graphs under attributes.
* Moved option to only play the selected emitter onto the Settings menu.
* Setting that changes the updates per second now works correctly.
* When loop length has a value on the properties tab it will now make the sine/square wave generator set it’s width to that length.
* Global zoom attribute now works a lot better and also renamed it to Overal Scale.
* Replaced the current motion randomness algorithm with Simplex Noise algorithm. This means there are additional attributes available – Noise Offset, Noise Resolution, Velocity Turbulance and Direction Turbulance.
* Option to sync refresh rate now properly applies on start up according to whatever setting was saved last.
* Fixed some issues with auto fitting animations on the animation tab for frame sizes that are not square.
* Effect list now in a child window so that the filter doesn’t scroll with the effects.
* Removed the Show Emitter Positions setting which wasn’t helping much.
* Emitter offsets on the properties tab will reflect immediately after updating.
* Fixed a bug when curve is enabled for a node on the graph, the commit in the history tab would have the incorrect initial curve positions.
* Added extra note about the save state of the effect library on the tab tool tip.
* Fixed a bug with the shape pop up on the properties tab when there were few shapes to view.
* Fixed a bug when deleting shapes would sometimes make them save incorrectly.
* Fixed a bug when importing animated shapes that are not powers of 2.
* Implemented an effect library importer – allows you to import all, or click an drag individual effects, folders and emitters. You can also import shapes individually as well.
* Left curve of the first node on a graph is now hidden.
* Fixed a bug causing libraries not to save properly after using remove unused shapes.
* Fixed a crash bug in the renderer to do with memory alignment, possibly only affecting older GPUs.
* Fixed an issue with the animation tab where the edge in the preview would bleed to the other side at certain zoom levels.
* Change the spin overtime attribute to be 1 by default.
* You can now copy graph groups in one go (Global, property etc.) from one effect to another.
* Colour overtime can now also be copied/pasted.
* Folders can now be created to make it easier to organise effects in a library.
* New option that lets you copy a sub effect out into the library.
* Added a warning if you are working with a recovery file.
* New click and drag behaviours for effects emitters and folders. These can now all be clicked an dragged to change the order and copy/move into other effects/folders.
* Added an “Are you sure” request when opening a new file without changes being saved.
* Added a new line to graphs indicating where the effect or emitter loops if it does so.
* Fixed a bug with entering values manually for graph nodes.
* Added a context menu for the library window that lets you add a new folder or effect.
* Added a new text filter for the library tab to filter effects by name.
* Fixed a bug with selected graph nodes hanging about when you switch graphs.
* Shapes that are converted to white now save that way in the save file.
* When you check the convert to white checkbox when importing a shape it will now update the preview.
* Generate Sine and Square waves now use drag floats and should be a lot more easy to use now.
* Lot’s of stability updates to hopefully improve performance and crash bugs.
* Emitters and effects now remember the graph they were editing.
* Fixed an issue with cloning emitters not renaming properly.
* Fixed an issue with pasting an emitter into a sub effect.
* Added the shape name that the emitter is using on the properties tab.
* Name of currently playing effect now shows in status bar, including if you’re previewing a history item.
* Option to only play selected emitter now works correctly.
* Navigating the library with arrow keys has been improved when navigating sub effects and emitters.
* Updated to latest version of ImGui.
* Saving library properly updates the tab label now.
* You can no longer import the same shape name twice to stop any conflict issues.
* Loading a new shape from the shape popup on the properties tab now also applies the shape at the same time.
* Effect will now keep looping properly after making a property change.
* Fixed a crash when particles exceed the limit.
* Improved tool tips to show when spin won’t make a difference because Align to direction is set.
* Option to fill ellipses now exists, plus areas can also only draw on edges as well.
* Grid emission properties now hide if grid emission is not selected.
* Fixed crash bugs when restoring effects from the bin.
* Added all Add effect/emitter type menus to the shape tab context menu
* Spin dials in the attribute list now animate to show spin speed.
* Increased the amount that you can zoom out on the graphs.
* Added 2 new buttons the graphs that allow you to click and drag to zoom and pan.
* Added copy and paste for graphs. You can also click and drag the copy button onto another emitter in the library list to quickly copy a graph.
* Added notifications that can pop up in the bottom right of the window to alert to various things.
* New emitters now have Random Angle 360 set by default.
* The graph node context menu is now more reliable (sometimes it would disappear before you moved your mouse over it).
* Graph wave creators don’t use log power for sliders anymore – still needs tweaking though.
* Added auto save recovery file incase the program crashes. Will auto load if the program failed to close properly.
* Added new .tfx format to remove the dependency on zip files in the c++ library, zip files can still be used in the editor though.
* Fixed bug when cancelling save as dialog kept the popup modal on screen.
* Increased the timeout time that emitters would use to remove themselves from the particle manager when spawned particles were 0.
* Moved the image handle coords to below the image for more useability.
* Graphs now have options to set presets, including generating sine and square waves.
* There’s now a tool tip that shows the full path of the effect library when you hover over the tab title.
* Fixed a crash relating to graphs and generally made them more stable overal.
* Spawning particles between positions is now more smoother, especially noticable with trail type effects.
* Fixed a bug where switching emitters could result in invalid graphs being selected.
* Undoing back to the initial commit keeps focus on the graph if that was the change being undone.
* Added Trail Preview Mode to settings menu. This makes the effect move about the screen automatically which can be useful when designing trail type effects.
* There are now preset Gradients and colours for the color overtime color picker.
* Simple preset effects to quickly get started with a new effect. These are available when you add a new effect or emitter to the library.
* Fixed a bug where clicking export animation didn’t do anything on the first click.
* Arrow keys can now be used to navigate the effect library.
* Fixed an occasional crash when cloning an effect.
* Fixed a crash when opening a library that has no shapes.
* Changed the default shape (when no shapes are available) to a flare type shape so that the preset effect previews look a bit better.
* Fixed a graphics bug where particles would just draw on top of each other on some graphics cards.
* Altered a compiler option for more compatibility.
* Proper seamless texture preview when the seamless option is checked in the animation tab
* Graph removed to prevent crash when loading an effect library.
* Fixed crash when clearing unused shapes.
* Save as now removes the dirty flag (*) from library name.
* Property tab now has default focus when opening the editor.
* Issue with line emitter’s length corrected.
* Seamless wrapping issue on some effects fixed (due to none centered emitter handles)
* Clone now uses Vn for the copy names
* Fixed bug with moving the order of subeffects and emitters.
* Cloning emitters in sub effects now clone properly within the sub effect, not the root effect.
* Name of exported animation now defaults to the name of the effect in the library being exported.
* Clicking any of the options on the animation no longer closes the popup after updating the effect.
* Fixed crash after creating a new effect library and importing a shape.
* Fixed issue with the colour gradient where it was hard to edit the first colour on the graph.
* Cloning effects after creating a new library was not properly creating a separate effect.
* Fixed a crash when adding an emitter.
* Frame and frame sizes on the import shape popup no longer allows the values to go to 0.
* History now auto scrolls to the most recent change.
* Looped animations for exporting now works better when single spawning emitters are present.
* (library change) – Replaced random number generator with a much faster one.
* Angle changes in history now show as degrees not radians for convenience.
* Toolbar icons now have tooltips.
* History list optimised to only draw the visible items.
* Added direction overtime which was missing
* Fixed crash when trying to open file that doesn’t exist
* Loading library from file menu now shows please wait modal
* Changing emitter properties wasn’t properly updating the effect preview.
* Rewrote the gradient editor for colour overtime so it’s more easy to use now.
* Fixed a crash bug when editing graphs due to the new undo implementation.
* Fixed an issue with sub effects not being updated in properly if they had size variation.
* Graph is reset after opening a new library
* Fixed crash when clearing unused shapes
* Save As now properly removes the dirty flag
* Property tab now has default focus
* History tab implemented for undo and effect revisions so you can easily go back on recent changes.
* Revisions can be saved as a separate effect.
* Copying effects now appends v1,v2,v3 and so on with subsequent copies.
* Added Direction Overtime graph which was missing.
* Deleted effects are now saved under Edit menu > Recently Deleted Effects in case you need to get them back. Undo will also restore the last deleted effect as long as the delete was the last action.
* Graph curves for angles now properly adjust for radians (the display is in degrees but the actual value for angles is stored in radians).
* Graph data is now more efficiently stored.
* Initial release